Saturday, September 18, 2010

May, Schmay, Might, Schmight… Could, Schmould? But You Get the Idea

I shouldn’t be saying bad things about the MSM; my livelihood depends in part on their interest in what I have to say. Still, this Newsweek headline:
Murkowski May Launch Write-In Bid, but It Might Not Change Election's Outcome
is pretty obscene. Yes, and:
“The Cow May Jump over the Moon, but the Fork Might Not Run Away with the Spoon…
A more honest headline would read:
I Don’t Know If Murkowsky Will Launch a Write-In Bid, and I Don’t Know If She’ll Win If She Does
One of my favorite putdowns is that “it’s not even wrong.” This one doubles down with a may-might compound hedge.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.