Friday, January 26, 2007

Yomiuri Shinbun, You Are a Disgrace (Yuri Geller, Indeed)

The Yomiuri sports pages have long been recognized as the advertising vehicle for the Japanese baseball equivalent of the New York Knicks. Now, Yomiuri has thoroughly shamed itself in its Jan. 26 evening edition through what would be the styles section in a US newspaper with a near full-page hagiography of a third-rate magician who parlayed a parlor room trick into a full time career as a clairvoyant. It's page 19 in the Tama version. Yomiuri, you are disgusting. I've been taking down the foreign media, just for you, and this is what you do to me?

It's a double shame, too, because the same version also has two fine articles, one on the front page and the other in the "shakai" section, which tell the story of a man who in 2002 was wrongfully convicted of rape through a forced confession. The story first broke last week, when they found out he was innocent after a different man confessed to the crime. You know what, if I ever kill somebody (I can't imagine myself committing any other felony), I'll keep my mouth shut, and take my chances in court. I am not going to help those idiots.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.