Thursday, January 01, 2009

Is Dave Barry Back?

Since I logged onto my blog against my best instincts (easier on the old bones than yard work)…
Dave Barry never completely went away. But he took an indefinite leave of absence from his weekly column three years ago and has since restricted his work to Christmas gift guides and year’s-end reviews, as well as coverage of the odd political convention or Olympics and a couple of well-received books. In the meantime, the Miami Herald has been printing Dave Barry reruns. But on December 28, he published a brand new piece, These Cars Can’t Be Tuned, which looks every bit like a regular column and nothing like the occasional pieces that he has continued to do. I’ll keep my fingers crossed, but I won’t be surprised if it turns out that he had chosen this non-announcement to resume writing regularly.

6 comments:

Jan Moren said...

Hope you're right. The Exploding Whale column is still one of my absolute favourite pieces of writing.

Jun Okumura said...

It's hard to come up with my favorite. How about a Lifetime Achievement Award for Dave Barry, for kicking self-importance of every color into the gutter and taking a dump on it? He has raised Art Buchwald's irreverence and nose for the absurd to the next level (up or down, depending on your perspective).

Anonymous said...

A little late, but on the top of the article it says "(This classic Dave Barry column was originally published June. 29, 2003.)", which seems to indicate that this is in fact not a new article.

Jun Okumura said...

You’re right! What a bummer. The notice wasn’t there when they posted it; still missing when they put up the latest column.

Anonymous said...

I also would like to blame you for wasting my whole day at work reading Dave Barry columns when I could have been doing more productive things like wasting my day reading blogs about Japan.

Jun Okumura said...

You haven't really wasted your day until you've gone through Dave Barry’s blog.